Saturday, March 29, 2008

I Scream, You Scream, We all Scream for Gluten Free Ice Cream!

I don’t know about you, but once it gets warm out (to be honest, I should say, once it’s above freezing) I have a hard time getting through a week without some ice cream. Ice cream is one of my favorites and with Spring only a couple weeks away, I’m already looking forward to lots of ice cream eating, right through till it gets cold again next fall (who am I kidding, I eat ice cream year round). Alright, you caught me. I’m trying to use the arrival of Spring to justify writing about ice cream, but I’m actually eating a bowl right now and the temperature outside is in the low 30s. I just want to write about ice cream because it tastes SO GOOD!

The good news about ice cream is that many brands, such as Ben and Jerry’s, say their flavors are wheat and gluten free, except for those containing obvious gluten sources. So, Chocolate Fudge Brownie is not ok, but plain Chocolate, Vanilla, Strawberry and Coffee are! Most of the companies I contacted were very helpful in providing me with the names of their gluten free flavors, so calling one up to inquire about a new flavor in your market’s freezer should prove fruitful for you too. There are lots of gluten free ice cream flavors out there—too many, in fact, to list here (isn’t that great news?).

Here are some flavors in which you can safely indulge: Haagen Dazs’ Vanilla, Coffee, Strawberry, Extraas™ Rocky Road and their Banana Strawberry Frozen Yogourt Bar are gluten free. Edy’s Grand Fruit Bars, Butter Pecan, Cherry Vanilla, Chocolate, French Vanilla and Neopolitan and Edy’s Slow Churned Butter Pecan, Caramel Delight, Fudge Tracks, Mocha Almond Fudge and Vanilla Bean are all gluten free. Turkey Hill’s Banana Split, Butter Pecan, Chocolate Marshmallow, Rum Raisin and a host of others are gluten free. Starbucks’ Coffee flavor is gluten free, as are Java Chip Low Fat Latte and White Chocolate. Dove Ice Cream, with the exception of Chocolate Chip Brownie Affair is ok!



So what about toppings for your frozen delight? Fruit and nuts are always safe and Ghiradelli dark chocolate chips are ok, but their white chocolate chips are not. Delicious Organics makes gluten free caramel and raspberry syrups as well as gluten free chocolate and rainbow sprinkles. You can order some here. Barkat also makes a delicious gluten free cone that passed a taste test by the pickiest of ice cream connoisseurs—kids (meaning they didn’t pause for a second while devouring their cones to question whether they were anything but standard ice cream cones)! So stock up online for those spring and summer birthday parties and barbeques! Happy ice cream eating from GFDelights.com!

0 comments: